Re: hung on a URL

P. Murray-Rust (mbglx@s-crim1.dl.ac.uk)
Sat, 4 Feb 1995 22:39:08 +0000 (GMT)

There are two separate issues in this message:
- how to report errors.
- bad links in the course

Peter Murray-Rust (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk) Glaxo Research & Development, Greenford,UK
mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk, http://www.dl.ac.uk/CBMT/pmr.html (Thanks to AlanBleasby)

On Sat, 4 Feb 1995, Rock Pulak wrote:

> My browser (Mosaic 2.0A17) hangs on one of the items
> on the Updates page - it hangs on the http://www.cryst.
If you are reporting apparently bad links, please give the
*URL* of the page in which the apparently bad link is, and the
link that it points to. I'm afraid the current info is too vague
for us to find the error.
> bbk.ac.uk/PPS/lastest/pmr30_1.html. I haven't tried to
^^^^^^
This is *not* the URL of any file on our system, nor can I find it
in any document. (I have just run a worm round the whole of our
hypertree and although there *are* a few bad links (mainly in the
olf dl.ac.uk stuff, this isn't one of them. I suspect that either you
have misinput it, or that it comes from another page outside our
system. If, however, it *is* on our system. please let us know which page.

> load this URL from a cmmd. line (because that's not how
> a browser is supposed to work). The specific item that is
it's actually a valid and useful way to use a browser! :-)

> not loading is "30th Jan'95. The course has started" without
> the quotes. I'm using a MacIIci on the Net. Is this a
> problem anyone else has had? If you are going to answer
> "Yes" or "no", please email me specifically (do not send
> a "yes" or a "no" answer to the vsns-pps-technical address
> but to my address, given below). If you have encountered

I'm sure this was meant kindly, but it's probably not the best
way of tackling problems. In this case the problem, if there is a general
one, is at our end and we have to tackle it. We'll normally try to
post a msg like the present one within a day or so. Until then, everyone
should be patient.
If it's NOT our problem, then we'll say so and the class should
decide whether to correspond with the poster or not. (You might wonder
whether you *really* want 300 e-mail messages about this problem :-)

P.
BAD LINKS:
If you *do* think there are bad links in our part of the course, please
post:
- the URL of the document in which the bad URL is.
- the bad URL
and we'll have a look. We'll try to report our findings. Later we might
develop a form.

If it's somebody else's (students or consultants) you should mail them
and not the lists.

If it's in the glossary, please mail the glossary list

P.

BAD CGI-SCRIPTS
We aren't yet running many CGI-scripts, but if you have errors
with them pleaes give as much info as possible, including dates and times
(in case the server was down).

P.