Problems posting to the list

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 09:41:33 +0000 (GMT)

I'm posting a copy a mail from Barry Hardy about e-mail. I suspect we
are going to get quite a lot of correspondence about e-mail -:( and this
is where it should be tackled.

There *may* still be problems at the bbk end with some of the
lists. But problems can arise at *your* end as well. If you have
problesm it's a good idea to be on friendly terms with your postmaster
(technical term - there should be a postmaster@<site> for any site to
which you can send mail.) *Your* postmaster can help you discover
whether the problem is at your end or the other. *I* have problems in
that (I think) my dl.ac.uk address sometimes changes machine names. This
cause problems with listproc which REQUIRES YOU TO POST FROM A PARTICULAR
MACHINE (I think).

It would be GREAT if someone would volunteer to help coordinate
the discussion of e-mail.

I have never used the mailto: facility in HTTP and am not sure
that it is widely implemented. However I think Netscape makes a good job
of it.

I'm cross-posting to GNA-TECH in case they have any suggestions/help.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK