Re: Glossary

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:02:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Georg Fuellen wrote:

> We're in the process of resurrecting the biocomputing glossary,
> and one consultant has promised to improve our glossary entries
> on Networking/Internet terms.
> Stay tuned :-)

I'm strongly in favour of 'quite small' glossaries (e.g. 100-1000
terms). Therefore in the case of PPS we have:
protein structure terms
proteins
classification of protein structure (e.g. SCOP)
we should concentrate on providing a *definitivee* glossary for the former
(for cutting-edge research :-), a 'teaching' or 'introductory' glossary
for the second, and leave the third to those who have already donw it :-)

Similarly, I think that georg's group should split their glossary into a
*definitive* one for biocomputing - what I saw looked very authoritative
- and a 'introductory/teaching' one for networking.

We should not be frightened of lots of little glossaries - that's exactly
how the VHG will work. Nor should we worry about overlap or omissions.

Obviously what georg's group has in networking would be very useful to
PPS as well! (I don't think we produced any computing terms??)

P.

Peter Murray-Rust 44-181-9662554 T "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk 44-181-9662109 F space; all else is opinion" Democritos.
Biomolecular Structure, Glaxo Wellcome, Greenford, Middx, UB6 0HE, UK
& p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk :http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html