Using Search Engines

Iddo Friedberg (idoerg@cc.huji.ac.il)
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 11:17:15 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 20 Jan 1996, Peter Olds wrote:

> Please disregard my last message. I was able to see images! Apparently
> only the diatom image is missing (in the WebMOO tutorial). Now, can you
> tell me what application I need to view movies? (i.e. mpeg files) Thanks,
>
> Pete

Pete (and all other MS-WINDOWS users)

Read the FAQ at http://www.best.com/~bryanw/mpfaq.html

ALL PPS-STUDENTS:

You might want to start learning at this phase how to search the web for
whatever you need, be it viewing utility programs, MUD clients, or just
plain "Hey I need a bit of software that analyses Hbonds! Is there
something available for me?" (Yes there is, by the way)

There sites on the web which function as *search engines*. The idea is
quite simple: you get to the site via your web browser and you will get a
search form into which you are supposed to enter keywords. Enter the
keywords by which you want to look, set some search criteria (logical
AND/OR the keywords, search stringency), and hit the "search" button.
Searching the web "correctly" requires a bit of skill in refining your
search, so as not to get a plethora of irrelevant sites on one hand, or a
"No sites found" on the other. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS concerning the
specific search engine you are using. The idea is pretty similar to
article searching on the MEDLINE, which I'm sure many of you have preformed.
Hit The "Net Search" button on your browser to get a list of search
engines. For Netscape users, that will get you to:

http://home.netscape.com/home/internet-search.html

I usually use the Lycos search engine. It's search syntax leaves a bit to
be desired, but it indexes a LOT of sites, and search stringency/ boolean
operations on keywords are easy enough to perform.
The Lycos home page:

http://www.lycos.com/

Why is my beautiful .sig corrupted in the archives?

Iddo Friedberg ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
Phone: (972)-2-6585459/3 `9_ 9 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
email: idoerg@shum.cc.huji.ac.il (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
web: http://www.ls.huji.ac.il/~idoerg _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' .'
Lion design: Felix Lee
"Graduate life -- it's not just a job, it's an indenture."