Re: BioMOO sethome

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 17:54:44 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks Gustavo,
I'm copying this to the vsns-pps-technical list

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Gustavo Glusman wrote:

> > If everyone sleeps in
> >the classroom, then there will be a huge list of people sleeping there.
> >This was the way that it was in JaysHouse MOO, when the biologists were
> >there - lots of people asleep. (They had a distinction between faculty
> >and students - we are egalitarian in BioMOO!).
>
> I couldn't phrase it better. :)
> Most of the people sleep in the Lounge, 'the coziest place to sleep'. (The
> name we gave to the Body Bag.)
> StefanSA (sleeping) (#4027) is in the coziest place to sleep (#17).
>
> Indeed, sleeping in the Classroom doesn't look like a good idea. That's
> what you're doing! ;)

Yes - that was deliberate at the beginning, just to give people who went
there some contact with humans, albeit comatose. I'll probably change.

> > It could eb useful for the class to build a series of smaller
> >rooms which could be useful for informal discussions and so on. But I'd
> >like Gustavo's suggestions on this.
>
> Not a bad idea at all. But I think that it doesn't fit in the building...

So we can build somewhere outside?

> > Personally I do not have either the knowledge or the time to
> >build, create objects, or maintain objects in the MOO. But I'd be
> >delighted if the course would spawn a group which concentrated on how to
> >run things in BioMOO.
>
> Here I agree very strongly. If such users come with ideas, they'll be
> considered gladly!

VOLUNTEERS, PLEASE.

> Btw, notice and publish this: (item 33 in BioMOO's news)
>
> NO CLIENT? NO PROBLEM! -- JAN 26TH, 1995
> It is the usual problem of new users that they don't have (yet) a good client
> program for connecting to the MOO. Therefore, when they telnet to it, what they
> type gets mixed with the output from the MOO - very confusing!
> BioMOO has now a system for preventing this!
> Read 'help say' and 'help emote' for more information.
>
> Thanks to John Towell!

(to: vsns-pps)
John is also WatsonCrick in BioMOO - you'll often find him or his
doppelganger logged in!

> Gustavo Glusman Founder/administrator of BioMOO
> -- Gustavo@bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il
> -- http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il:70/0h/Gustavo/Glusman
> -- BioMOO: telnet bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il 8888
> WWW: http://bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il:8888

Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK