Re: Standards (chemical/* MIME)

Iddo Friedberg (idoerg@cc.huji.ac.il)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:35:18 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, peter Murray-rust wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Iddo Friedberg wrote:
>

> > Probably MIME. Rasmol/PDB files are MIMEd differently from different
> > servers (that's the nice thing about standards - there are so many of
> > them :-).
>
> This isn't quite accurate :-). When Henry Rzepa and I put forward the
> chemical/* MIME standard we proposed a single type for PDB files:

[ Deleted for brevity ]

> We effectively have a 'de facto' standard as chemical/x-pdb for
> PDB files and if there are servers which diospense something else, it may
> be worth suggesting that they change. The definitive opinions can be
> found on the chemime list and the server set up by Scott Nelson at
> Lawrence LIvermore to serve definitive MIME types. If your browser won't
> deal with Scott's files, you may need to reconfigure it.
>

> > Use two MIME types:
> > application/x-rasmol
>
> This is different and should not be used for the transfer of PDB files.
> It represents a non-standard application (anyone can use x- types) and is
> currently used for passing rasmol scripts (unless things have changed).

Thanks for the enlightening comment, Peter. I KNEW I had it there for some
reason... I stand corrected.

Thanks for clearing things up!

Iddo

Iddo Friedberg ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
Phone: (972)-2-6585459/3 `9_ 9 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
email: idoerg@shum.cc.huji.ac.il (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
web: http://www.ls.huji.ac.il/~idoerg _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' .'
Lion design: Felix Lee
"Graduate life -- it's not just a job, it's an indenture."