Re: BioMOO Monday 12 May

Jacek Leluk (lulu@bf.uni.wroc.pl)
Fri, 09 May 1997 13:53:49 -0700

Yasuhisa Asano wrote:

> Dear Clare:
>
> Thank you for your e-mail. I should like to have the transcript of
> the BioMOO meeting.
> We have RasMol, Molscript, MidasPlus, and Modeller. Do you think
> commercial softwares by Molecular Simulations is superb than those
> softwares? Do you know that the Modeler by Molecular Simulations is better
> than the free software Modeller ? What machine are you using, Indy,
> Indigo, O2 or Octane? For the graphics what softwares do we need? Do we
> need Insight II, homology, Affinity, etc?
> I am looking forward to hearing from you,
>
> Yasuhisa Asano

Dear Asano san,

I'm sorry for interrupting your mailing to Dr. Clare Sansom, but I am
using MSI software, and comparing to ones you mentioned about MSI
products are very good. Although still there are many things that
require upgrading, and many parts are still under construction, I would
like to recommend MSI software anyway! For sure it is MUCH better than
Rasmol and Modeller. The disadvantage is that you cannot use that on PC.
I work on Indy, O2 and ORIGIN machines. Mainly I am interested in
InsightII and Quanta. Very interesting is Gene Explorer (a new baby of
MSI) that is very good for homology analysis (so far it is probably not
available yet, and so far only protein part is done - the part
concerning homology analysis of nucleic acids is not finished yet). Such
stuff like Rasmol, Hyperchem, Predict7, Macaw, Gepasi, Editbase, etc.
are used only as additional tools for pilot preliminary research.
I would like to mention about two programs of mine, concerning analysis
of homology and semihomology in protein primary structure. They are
based on the algorithm of genetic semihomology (the paper describing
this algorithm will show up in Computers & Chemistry" this year). If you
are interested in those programs, and a new algorithm I will be pleased
to give you more inforamtion about that.

Sincerely,

Jacek Leluk

lulu@bf.uni.wroc.pl