Re: Mime types (again)

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 19:07:10 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Glenn Proctor wrote:

> ivview, when confronted with a file with a .iv extension. So I have my
> .mailcap set up as follows:
>
> graphics/x-inventor; ivview %s

Correct - as far as I know MIME types are interpreted regardlerss of the
top-level. (There *is* no graphics/ toplevel so you shouldn't really use
it. It should either be application/x-inventor or, possibly,
x-world/x-inventor.

> > and in .mime.types
>
> graphics/x-inventor iv

Correct.
.mime.types (UNIX only) is accessed *by the browser* to determine the
MIME type of a file by using its suffix.

> I have a page called OpenInventor.html containing some links to .iv
> files.
>
> When I run
>
> netscape ~/public_html/OpenInventor.html
>
> everything works fine, however running
>
> netscape http://www.yorvic.york.ac.uk/OpenInventor.html
>
> results in the Inventor file being displayed _as text_ in the Netscape
> window.
The server has the responsibility of adding the MIME type to a
file which it does by using mime.types (sic) on the server side. If this
server does not stamp these files as graphics/x-inventor, then your
browser will do something different. The default is text/plain, which is
what you are getting.

> Does anyone know what is going on, and why there should be this
> apparent difference between local files and the same file expresses as
> a URL?
Check with the server maintainer. make sure also that you use
known MIME types where possible.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk