Re: on-the-fly decompression by your browser

Kris Boulez (kris@bionmr1.rug.ac.be)
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 08:57:38 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> I think the problem with decompression on the fly is that Netscape (or
> other browsers which support this; e.g. my Xmosaic version on Linux
> does) spawns a subprocess where it calls the compress program. To
> accomplish this under Unix is very easy; unfortunately I'm afraid
> that these compressed files are inaccessible for Windows or Mac users...

GZIP for MS-DOS exists and can uncompress .gz files (don't know about .Z
files). I do however have no idea how I would tell Netscape to use this
program to do decompression on the fly.

Kris,

---
Kris Boulez		(Kris.Boulez@rug.ac.be)