Re: BIOMOO

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 12:51:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 9 Feb 1995, Fergus Doherty wrote:

> 2. Using Telnet 2.5 on my Mac I cannot see what I type when in BioMOO, so
> I can't edit commands if I make a mistake, very difficult. Is this true
> for everyone? If not what is the solution? (this does not happen when I
> Telnet to other hosts).
telnet was not designed for the level of complexity that is found
in MOOs, so (in general) all telnets will have this problem. I also find
it a pain in the neck, but I can't change. (The difficulty is that
telnet was devised to run on the basis of:
<request><EOM>

<reply><EOM>

where each end would wait until the other had finished before inputting.
You'll probably find that if you type in the middle of a large return
message, it will get garbled on the screen, so it's not a MOO phenomenon.
("this does not happen when I Telnet to other hosts "
It *will* if they are MOOs!

Get a client if you can - otherwise - like me - get used to it as
I am not able to run a client (this is probably true for many people
behind firewalls).

> 3. A comment really, BioMOO can be real sloooowwwww, even at the best of
> times. It does put me off.

There are several places where "lag" can occur:
- at your end (your site is transferring the whole of
embl-updates every day???)
- in the middle. e.g. 1200+ GMT is very bad for transatlantic links
- at the other end.

The MOO can monitor the 'internal' lag - e.g. if there are 100+ players
logged in. Lambda MOO has a lagometer. In that way you can tell whether
it's their machine thrashing or bad comms.

You probably don't notice it so badly elsewhere, but the Net is
very slow in certain parts of the 4-dimensional continuum. BioMOO is
nothing special.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK