Re: still hanging on a URL

Cornelius Krasel (krasel@alf.biochem.mpg.de)
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 22:17:55 +0100 (GMT)

Sorry, if you get this or a similar message twice. This Mac crashed while
composing the mail (MacTCP sucks :-).

Rock Pulak (rapulak@macc.wisc.edu) wrote:

> My browser (still) hangs on one of the items on the page
> titled "VSNS-PPS UPDATE MESSAGES" without the quotes,
> URL for this page: http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/latest/updates.html
>
> >From this page I tried to link to (I moved the hand icon to the blue text
> entitled) "30th.Jan'95 The Course HAS STARTED" without the quotes, and I
> copied down the URL that the Mosaic browser displayed in the window for
> this connection. This URL is
> http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/latest/pmr30_1.html and then I clicked
> the mouse button. At that point the program "hung", "locked-up", the
> little clock icon was spinning wildly but nothing happened.

Indeed. When trying to access this page with MacMosaic 200A17 (PPC) on
a PowerMac 6100/60, the program is able to connect to the host and
retrieve some data, but hungs when trying to display these. This is
a bug within MacMosaic since MacWeb 1.03 is able to display the
page flawlessly.

> Peter Murray-Rust says:
> > This is *not* the URL of any file on our system, nor can I find it
> > in any document. (I have just run a worm round the whole of our
> > hypertree and although there *are* a few bad links (mainly in the
> > olf dl.ac.uk stuff, this isn't one of them. I suspect that either you
> > have misinput it, or that it comes from another page outside our
> > system. If, however, it *is* on our system. please let us know which page.
>
> Well Peter, I don't care if you ran a herd of buffalo round the whole
> hypertree :-), the text of the URL is as I indicated in my message. By
> the way (BTW), what is a "worm"?

A worm in this sense is a program which starts at a certain URL, retrieves
it, looks for hotlinks to other URLs, retrieve them one by one, looks there
for hotlinks to other URLs ... you get the picture. By starting a worm at
the PPS course homepage, you will find all URLs belonging to the course
(and lots more :-). The confusion probably arose because Rock mispelled
the URL in his first mail.

Hope I have cleared up a few things,

--Cornelius (BTW, which group am I belonging to? :-)

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel@alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */