Re: MAGE for UNIX

Cornelius Krasel (krasel@alf.biochem.mpg.de)
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 13:57:21 +0100

Antti Iivanainen (antti.iivanainen@oulu.fi) wrote:

> I'm running Linux (v.1.1.54) with XFree86 (X11R6) on my i486 PC
> and would like to port MAGE, but... problems have arisen... Being a
> newbie, a few questions:
> 1. The README file referred to Motif window manager (commercial, as far
> as I know) - is this the only choise?

The problem is not the window manager but that Mage makes use of the
Motif libraries. That means you need these libraries to compile (and
especially link) Mage successfully.

> 2. Should GCC (Linux compiler) be able to compile the source?

In principle, yes. See caveats above.

If I can find a Linux version of Mage (or make one myself), I'll post
it here. I guess a Linux version would greatly enhance feedback for
Dave Richardson.

And as I stated somewhere else, I think Mage is awesome :-) [So much
for the flamewar...]

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel@alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */