Re: PPS People questions

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:57:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 30 Jan 1995 SCHUMAN@bnlstb.bio.bnl.gov wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for answering...no I am not using your
> scripts...I wrote my own parsing script in C to handle

OK - I looked closer and they *weren't* the chars that I have
excluded. Yours are
/ < and >

I suspect the client mangles them to avoid problems. I doubt if all
clients do this. Do they have a % in front? like %2F.

Other people's reponses would be valuable here. I'm sure that
the client/browsers are not consistent.

> know nothing about Tcl or any of the other scripting
> languages, but am interested in learning about Perl, so
> if your's are Perly, that's okay!

Mine are in tcl. That's historical 'cos I learnt it along with
tk. I will *not* debate their relative merits since it gets religious!
perl is probably more widely used as a scripting language but either is fine.
They have lots of facilities that shells (and C) do not, like lists, and
associative arrays - these are wonderful.

> PS...it sounded as if you had sent in a form response
> for the pps people list, but I didn't get it yet?

No! I was just guessing from your error message!

P.
Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK