Re: PPS people form and list questions

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 20:18:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 30 Jan 1995 SCHUMAN@bnlstb.bio.bnl.gov wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I am receiveing and maintaining the PPS people
> form and page...so needless to say, I'm getting a few

[...]
> Char read: 3C
> Char read: 2F
> Char read: 3E

These are the hexadecimal equivalents of characters.
I suspect the fault is mine - are you using my scripts? I deliberately
did not decode these characters when reading as I thought they might be a
security hole.

> and the message part of the form. I also notice that
> some systems have a "D" at the end of every line,

This is CR (actually 0x0D == 13 ) The problem here seems to be
that some browsers add it in the text window and some don't. My
suspicion is that is is VAXen sinec they treat CR differently from the
rest of the galaxy.

Text windows are a real pain at present since they don't wrap
automatically and we get huge lines to parse. Other probs are that SG's
window is minute (this is a known bug in their X11, I think).

[...]
Let me know what script you are using. This may also be
somewhere where GNA-TECH might help

> About the list...Is it correct that I should not
> be sent anything I post? Sometimes I don't really know
> if it gets where it's going...Thanks...

I *think* that if A posts to the list, then it doesn't mail A.
But there is a lot of uncertainty in the present lists. They work - just :-)

P.

Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK