Re: MIRRORING

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 18:47:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Mark Dalton wrote:

> I tried sending to the list but I am having troubles (^8. I sent a note
> to www@cryst.bbk.ac.uk.

I have had troubles on the lists as well :-( Make sure that the
address is @www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk (Alan can you verify this?)

> There are different versions of imagemap, I think 3.
> 1. CERN - requires administor level access to /etc/imagemap.conf
> and specific /htbin/images (or some predefined area)
Yes. I haven't ported my maps (at dl.ac.uk) to BBK yet because
they are using the CERN server and I have used the NCSA one at dl.
> 2. NCSA - same requirements as above, but has a slightly different
> format for the actual map of the image.
> 3. The WONDERFUL NEW imagemap (^8 - bias acknowledged. This allows
> any on on the system that can setup a WWW page to also
> be able to setup a imagemap without bugging the admin.
> or having administrator level access.
This sounds great!!!!!!!!! Does it run its own daemon? More
info please!!

> > MIRRORING CGI FORMS

[deleted]

> I guess, I am not sure what information is being created. Besides the stuff
> we create on our local servers and then inform you that it can be copied or
> used for the course.
*We* don't know what we'll be creating as well !! At one stage I
had the idea that we should be able to annotate any document, but that is
ambitious on several levels.

> Readonly - ie no course evaluation? (Not that I have cgi-bin access for
???????????????????????
What I meant here was that we would take regular (? 1 week) copies of
other hypertrees. We would not *dynamically* update the BBK copy, but
would overwrite it with the author's revised tree at regular intervals.

> internet anyway).
> >
> > MIRRORING THE HYPERGLOSSARY
> >
> > central site for the entry of information, although read-only copies
> > could be mirrored. (It's rather like the GNA-personnel database, I suspect).
> >
> I think it would be good to have these auto-ftped every X number of timezones,
> or atleast every major ocean. Especially if they contain images.

Agreed. WE HAVE TO HAVE VOLUNTEERS HERE. Both for building the
software (which must run robustly, but isn't conceptually difficult) and
for managing it. Alan and I can't manage this at present!

> Here are the images I have drawn, and where I am at on the Cell Biology
[deleted]

I had a VERY brief view of what Mark has done and went WOW!!!

P.

Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK