Re: MIRRORING

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 18:36:11 +0000 (GMT)

(Forwarded from Mark Dalton)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 11:28:20 -0700 (MST)
From: Mark Dalton <mwd@alamos.cray.com>
To: pmr1716@ggr.co.uk
Subject: Re: MIRRORING

I tried sending to the list but I am having troubles (^8. I sent a note
to www@cryst.bbk.ac.uk.

Here is the message:

About the mirroring. It does sound good, especially over any major body
of water for images. (I delete a lot of good stuff, just left the ideas
I commented on). Also below are the images I have drawn (many are mapped
but the server that internet has access to does not have the new imagemap).

> MIRRORING IMAGEMAPS
>
> This shouldn't be a major problem, although I have found with some
> servers that they need absolute addresses in imagemap.conf and *.map.
> However, the script has to copy imagemap.conf and *.map files as well and
> the mirrorsite has to know where to mount them - addresses may/will need
> editing. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A DEFINITIVE ANSWER HERE, PLEASE?

There are different versions of imagemap, I think 3.
1. CERN - requires administor level access to /etc/imagemap.conf
and specific /htbin/images (or some predefined area)
2. NCSA - same requirements as above, but has a slightly different
format for the actual map of the image.
3. The WONDERFUL NEW imagemap (^8 - bias acknowledged. This allows
any on on the system that can setup a WWW page to also
be able to setup a imagemap without bugging the admin.
or having administrator level access.
(The machine I have a internet accessable account on - does not have
the wonderful New imagemap yet. And I don't have admin. level access
on that machine). But I am doing it in the new format.

> MIRRORING CGI FORMS
>
> This is much harder, because some forms create information (e.g.
> annotations to documents.) Others simply carry out searches or whatever
> and create documents on the fly. We CANNOT HAVE INFORMATION CREATED AT
> MORE THAN ONE SITE UNLESS WE HAVE A DISTRIBUTED MECHANISM FOR MAINTAINING IT.
> This will be a problem for all GNA courses and I'll throw this to
> gna-tech!

We can have the same forms for asking questions/evaluation, registering, etc.
if each site wishes to install the required cgi-bin programs. These are
static forms - but the one that is distributed could:
evaluate the user, inform the user of the 'score' then send the
information back to the 'main-server'.
Well I think this could be done for various forms.
About the 'information created at multi-sites' (paraphrased) I thought that
was what the auto-ftp was about, I guess that was only one way.

I guess, I am not sure what information is being created. Besides the stuff
we create on our local servers and then inform you that it can be copied or
used for the course.

> MIRRORING OTHER HYPERTREES
>
> This is really hairy! Many course members have made URLs available to
> us. Some, like PDB, existed already, some have been specially created for
> the course. At present vsns-pps simply points to these from its core.
> We cannot automatically copy them into our core because:
> - we don't hold the copyright
> - we could not easily run a worm through the remote material and know
> where the boundaries are (they might reference other servers which were
> logically part of their 'group', but the worm wouldn't know).
>
> My proposal (which I'd been planning to float - and this is a
> good time) is:
> IF YOU ARE A CONTRIBUTOR, PLEASE CONSIDER WHETHER IT IS
> APPROPRIATE TO LET US MIRROR YOUR MATERIAL. IF SO, PLEASE ORGANISE IT AS
> A READONLY-HYPERTREE (we can't cope with mirroring other CGI scripts!!)
> and create a script to make a tar.Z in your top directory.

Readonly - ie no course evaluation? (Not that I have cgi-bin access for
internet anyway).

> MIRRORING THE HYPERGLOSSARY
>
> The hyperglossary is going to have tremendous applicability and
> will have an independent existence outside the course. It HAS to have a
> central curation and therefore any mirroring will have to be done through
> the hyperglossary project. It is still very new - I'm not sure, for
> example, what role GNA may have in this. At the moment it MUST have a
> central site for the entry of information, although read-only copies
> could be mirrored. (It's rather like the GNA-personnel database, I suspect).

I think it would be good to have these auto-ftped every X number of timezones,
or atleast every major ocean. Especially if they contain images.

Here are the images I have drawn, and where I am at on the Cell Biology
course. Any help is welcome. Also images can be used by others, well
for non-profit use (^8. If you do update/revise them please let me know
I want any improvements. (Yeah, I know they are pastels (^8 ). I can
change the colors with xv to anything you want, well within reason (^8.

http://lenti.med.umn.edu/~mwd/cell_www/cell.html (The index to the course).
- comments are welcome (so are additions).
The images are in:
http://lenti.med.umn.edu/~mwd/cell_www/images

For Images:
12426 Jan 7 13:22 ER.gif <-- Endoplasmic Reticulum
10793 Jan 10 16:18 Na-Kpump.gif <-- Membrane Sodium Potasium pump
17835 Jan 4 10:47 big-bilayer.gif <-- Big picture of Phospholipid bilayer
1980 Jan 10 10:01 bilayer.gif <-- small picture of phospholipid bilayer
14336 Jan 2 15:06 cell.gif <-- Picture of Eukaryotic cell
104 Jan 10 19:38 cholesterol.gif <-- representation of cholesterol
4958 Jan 16 12:18 golgi.gif <-- Golgi Apparatus
1998 Jan 10 09:54 micelle.gif <-- micelle - single phospholipid layer
5361 Dec 29 12:08 mitochondria.gif <-- A mitochondrion
6177 Jan 10 10:20 phospholipids.gif <-- Structure of a phospholipid
14211 Jan 2 23:48 prokaryotes.gif <-- Bacterium and cyanophyte
13415 Jan 16 10:26 protein-gates.gif <-- Ligand and voltage gated channels
8172 Jan 10 23:52 protein-trans.gif <-- Examples of transports through a
membrane: Na-K ATPase pump and
Na driven glucose carrier
7965 Jan 16 22:52 ribosome-er.gif <-- Start of picture of a Ribosome on ER
during translation.
7145 Jan 16 13:41 transport.gif <-- Transport from nucleus to ER to Golgi

Mark

--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Cray Research,Inc.      |   |                      |       \      |