Re: Project Selection

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 11:51:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 21 Mar 1995 SCHUMAN@bnlstb.bio.bnl.gov wrote:

> Is there a deadline for the report on the work?
> Any length guidelines, I suspect my topic could become
> lengthy...

Thanks VERY much, Gail,

As we are breaking completely new ground in this course I don't
think we can give guidlelines very easily! After all, whole books have
been written on some of the subjects we cover. There will always be a
compromise between comprehensiveness, depth and the time you have to put in.

One of the great things about these projects is that a lot can be
done in parallel. Lets' say gail does something on rhinovirus capsid.
Someone else might be motivated to do the same for polio. Someone else
again might do another virus, or prehaps make a comparison.

I'd suggest that no single person aims to do more than 10 pages
at the most *on behalf of the course*. However, one of the benefits is
that if you *do* discover s new way of looking at things , and
particularly if you find a new graphics style, you may wish to continue
this after the course has *finished* so that you provide this insight for
the world community at large. There are already some examples of this on
the course - I think being part of the course helps these things to get
off the ground.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk