Re: Portuguese (fwd)

Pedro Mendes (prm@aber.ac.uk)
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 16:01:21 +0000

The portuguese translation of the ATP glossary entry by
>Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 16:35:53 +0000
>From: h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk
>To: ubcg09q@iona.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
>Subject: Portuguese
has two errors, which should be corrected.

1) the correct name of ATP in portuguese is "5'-trifosfato de adenosina"
and not "adenosina 5'-trifostato" as in that translation. The current
synonyms should be kept as they are with the addition of "trifosfato de
adenosina", which is a possible designation as well.

2) the word "indece" (índece) should be "indice" (índice)

I am a Portuguese biochemist, with my first degree taken in Portugal. I
felt particularly touched by the definition of ATP as in my first degree
this was discussed to great length (that it should be "5'-trifosfato de
adenosina" and not "adenosina 5'-trifostato"). The second error is just a
typo.

Please don't take this as a flame (which it is not). Apart from this the
translation is quite correct (and has spared me the work of translating it
myself).

Pedro Mendes (a Threonite)

Pedro Mendes Instit. Biological Sciences
prm@aber.ac.uk (home: pedro@enzyme.demon.co.uk) Univ. Wales, Aberystwyth,
http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/pedro/prmhome.htm Dyfed SY23 3DA, U.K.
PGP mail welcome! (public key on demand) FAX: +44 (0)1970 622350