Willing to help a young student? (fwr)

Jon D. Benson (jon@whamserver.surg.umn.edu)
Wed, 24 May 1995 08:39:41 -0500

Greetings,

This message has very little to with PPS, but it is concerned on-line education
and distance learning. I believe that if our endevours in on-line education is
to succeed, we will need to encourage students the youngest possible ages. If
you have a minute, send a post off and show that elementary school teacher the
power of on-line communication! Thanks :)

ps- forgive me if I have posted this to the incorrect list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 18:29:41 CDT
From: John A Achter <jachter@iastate.edu>
To: c01125as.lori@ranch.state.nd.us, fred0092@maroon.tc.umn.edu,
achter@gloria.cord.edu, pschadew@ucs.indiana.edu,
eliason@rs1.rz.uni-hohenheim.de, iowa@Enigma.metro2.k12.mn.us,
ccmail.dlaschk1@ranch.state.nd.us
Subject: Willing to help a young student?

Found this in my e-mail box today, and thought it to be a worthwhile cause.
Please respond if you're inclined. My bet is that the students have a much
better idea about the number of responses than the teacher! Send it on to
others, if you wish

John

My name is Beth and I am in the Fourth Grade at a Catholic
Elementary School near Worcester, Massachusetts, USA.

Jason and I are doing a science project and we need your help.

The project is on email: worldwide communication in seconds!!!!.

We are trying to get as many messages from different countries and
cities around the world, just by posting this to a few USENET
newsgroups and some famous people's email addresses as printed in
PEOPLE magazine, we're sorry if it might be off topic but we were
trying to get widespread general worldwide distribution of this
note.

Please send a note with the following information:

Dear Beth and Jason,

Good luck on your science project.

My name is (FIRST NAME ONLY)

I live in (city, state, province, country)

(If school age please give grade level)
(If out of school what is your occupation)
(If your primary language is other than English please write
a greeting along with an english translation)

Date and time sent!!!!

That's all, we hope to get 1,000 responses as our teacher
said we might get only 10 or 12!!!

Send your email to k.carroll@wildfire.com

We'll check it every day and keep all responses on a disk and a
hard copy printout for display at the Science Fair.

Thanks for your help in our project!!!

------- End of Forwarded Message

Jon D. Benson, University of Minnesota
(612) 626-6282 FAX (612) 624-8909 .... __o
Box 120 UMHC, Mpls., MN 55455 .. -\<,
World Wide Web: http://Wham-MB.surg.umn.edu ...(*)/(*)_________(c)