Re: written in stone? (fwd)

peter Murray-rust (p.murrary-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 00:32:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 10 Mar 1995 DUNTEN@XRAY.BMC.UU.SE wrote:

> First, let me say I'm having a great time learning new things in the course.
Thanks :-)
> I wonder if it couldn't be made more interactive by including the
> possibility of adding comments/discussion to the course material www pages.
> If each page had a form for entering comments or questions, we could all
> contribute EASILY to the course. Or maybe it wouldn't be so easy--I'm not
I am 100% supportive of this :-)

It's an idea that I originally had at the start of the course and
haven't got round to implementing. It's not trivial, but it's not
horrendous. Firstly the document has to be on a server where the
administrator has control - so that I can do this for anything at BBK,
but not at BNL or any hypertrees elsewhere. In principle a new script
has to be written for every document, but I've hacked the script so it's
generic. (If you look at http://seqnet.dl.ac.uk:8000/bugs.html or
./comments.html - where the course used to be - this shows the type of
thing.) The problem is that when we set the server up at BBK we changed
the server (from NCSA to CERN) and I simply haven't gottten around to
hacking the scripts. In fact the two things that are high on my TODO
list are to reinstate forms and imagemaps.

Please bear with me - we HAVE to get forms working for all sorts
of reasons and this is an extra incentive.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk
http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html, http://www.dl.ac.uk/CBMT/HOME.html