Re: discussion groups

P. Murray-Rust (mbglx@s-crim1.dl.ac.uk)
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 22:50:10 +0000 (GMT)

Peter Murray-Rust (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk) Glaxo Research & Development, Greenford,UK
mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk, http://www.dl.ac.uk/CBMT/pmr.html (Thanks to AlanBleasby)

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Robert D Scavetta wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I have noticed that some of you have started the course. I have yet to receive
> which group I belong to, yet alone a time to start. Did I miss something from
> the Web?

There was a message YESTERDAY == Monday 30 Jan to vsns-pps-all.
If you didn't get it, please mail us. It said (roughly) that the course
started yesterday and that the first two weeks were concerned with
finding out how to do things. So by mailing us , you HAVE started the
course!! DON'T PANIC.

What is happening now is very central to the course. Protein
scientists are going to have to find their way around electronically.
(When I did my chemistry course, the first week was taken up with
glassblowing!) When you've mastered it (some of you already have, of
course) you'll be better fitted for whatever you are doing. And you will
have learnt a bit more about cooperative working, teams, flexibility, etc.

--------------------------------------

This is an good time to say a little about the next item in the course.
As you can see, we are creating bits of it as we go along, because in
that way it's responsive to *you*. So the next bit, probably after your
groups have annealed, is for *you* to tell us how you are getting on.
I'll build a forms-based questionnaire and ask you all to fill it in.
Nothing frightening and we shan't publish you answers personally. That
will let us know whether 2 weeks are about right or whether we need some
more time.

If any of you are bored (!) there are lots of things you can be
doing. The contributions to the hyperglossary are FANTASTIC but we can
use lots more. Or you could spend time getting to know BioMOO and adding
some friendly objects. And during these two weeks there *is* an
assignment - see yesterdays mail.

P.