Re: Chinese Spring Festival

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 13:05:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Lin Dawei wrote:

> Dear Peter,
> Thanks for anwser me the questiom on adding date on hypertree. I am
> also glad to see people are all active with pps course.
> You may know the day, Jan 30th, when the class will begin, is also the
> day chinese spring festival begin. This is the most important day in
> china just like chrismas eve in your country. So I have to go back to
> Changchun(my hometown, northest of china, about 14hs by train from
> Beijing where now I am). I will leave Beijing tonight. So that mean I can
> not see the course begin, it is realy unfortunately. The first 5 days of
> spring festival is most important, I will spend these days with my
> family. I have seen them for 5 months. I will come back to Peking Univ.
> in Beijing aroud Feb. 6th where I can access internet. In Changchun,
> there is no internet.
> Would you please help me:
> Forward this message to other important admistrators if it need,
> because I will absent this two weeks, I can not response to any
> acivity you sponsered.
> Tell the members of my group I will be back around Feb. 6th., is
> it necesary?
> I will ask my friend to take care of my mailbox, so I will not
> unsubscribe the lists I join. But If you recive too much bounce mail,
> maybe our campus's machine turn off. Please feel free to unsubcribe
> me. I can rejoin the lists by myself.
>
> I hope these not trouble you a lot.
> Thanks in advance,
> Dawei

Dawei,

I hope you forgive me for posting this to the course, but you
have started something very important and I am very pleased. Thank you!

I am delighted and jealous that you are going to a week of
festivities. This is one of the most important things in the course -
bringing people together from different nations. Our world is in
need of greater understanding and science is one of the major ways that
we can cross artificial antional and political boundaries.

As you know, Dorothy Hodgkin loved China and its people, and she
would have been delighted to know of your involvement. I hope that you
can use this course to bring greetings to your friends, both in science
and outside.

Perhaps you can tell us about it when you come back! Or let us
have a picture.

Remember - people can take the course at their own speed and the
first two weeks will anyway be a mixture of excitement, chaos, fun and
frustration.

P.

> ''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'''*'
> Dawei LIN Doctoral Candidate of
> Institute of Physical Chemistry Chemistry Department
> Peking University ldw@pchindigo2.ipc.pku.edu.cn
> Beijing 100871 Telephone (861)-2501490
> P.R.China Fax (861)-2501725

Peter Murray-Rust | "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk | space; all else is opinion" (Democritos).
Protein Structure Group, Glaxo Group Research, Greenford, MIDDX, UB6 0HE, UK