Re: Why not usenet

A.P.N. de Boer (deboer@bio.vu.nl)
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:17:05 +0100

>Hi!
>>
>> I was wondering why we are using eMail to communicate with each other and
>> not Usenet. Usenet would have the advantage of also reaching others not
>> directly involved in the PPS course. Network trafic (and the size of my
>> mailbox ;-) would also be reduced (although with the rise of the WWW, eMail
>> constitues only a small portion of network traffic these days).
>>
>> any ideas ?
>>
>> Sincerely, A.P.N. de Boer
>>
> I'm not particularly qualified to answer this one, but it's not
>possible to set up usenet bionet newsgroups as and when one likes.
>You have to have a charter, then lots of people have to vote etc.
>Usually, things like this start up as mailing lists, and, when the traffic
>gets too much, usenet groups can be set up.
>
> -- Simon

Is probably true, but it might be possible to circumvent this "democratic"
proces, for this exceptional case. But probably not ;-)
Also because this course is not supposed to run very long it's probably not
worth the trouble of first creating a group and then deleting it in a few
months, but I think it is something to keep in the back of our mind. The
course would greatly benefit from a larger audience for particular
questions.

Sincerely, A.P.N. de Boer

=====
+ A.P.N. de Boer + eMail : deboer@bio.vu.nl