Re: Why not usenet

Simon Brocklehurst (smb@bioch.ox.ac.uk)
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 12:53:07 +0000 (GMT)

Hi!

> I was wondering why we are using eMail to communicate with each other and
> not Usenet. Usenet would have the advantage of also reaching others not
> directly involved in the PPS course. Network trafic (and the size of my
> mailbox ;-) would also be reduced (although with the rise of the WWW, eMail
> constitues only a small portion of network traffic these days).
>
> any ideas ?
>
> Sincerely, A.P.N. de Boer

I'm not particularly qualified to answer this one, but it's not
possible to set up usenet bionet newsgroups as and when one likes.
You have to have a charter, then lots of people have to vote etc.
Usually, things like this start up as mailing lists, and, when the traffic
gets too much, usenet groups can be set up.

-- Simon