Dissertation project topics: protein structure, function and dynamics
Principles of Protein Structure
Using the Internet
A Birkbeck College (University of London) Advanced Certificate Course
Dissertation project topics: protein structure, function and
1. Disulphides in protein stability.
2. Differences in the amino-acid composition of proteins between species.
3. Amino-acid composition differences between cytosolic and extracellular
4. Amino-acid composition variation between classes of protein folds.
5. Why proline is special.
6. The role(s) of metal(s) in proteins.
7. The Greek Key.
8. Why glycine is special.
10. Mutations in human diseases.
11. Enzyme activation.
12. Why cysteine is special.
14. Buried hydrogen-bonds.
15. Types of graphical representation of protein structures.
16. Variations on the Ramachandran Plot.
17. Protein folding.
18. The inverse protein-folding problem.
19. Secondary structure prediction.
20. The hydrophobic effect.
21. The poly-proline helix.
22. NMR and X-ray diffraction methods of protein structure determination.
24. Why random coil is not random.
25. Conformational changes in proteins.
26. Why beta-sheets twist.
27. Classes of membrane proteins.
28. Helical bundles.
29. Electrostatics in proteins.
30. The helix macro-dipole.
31. Water in and around proteins.
32. The role of the signal peptide.
34. The functional roles of proteins.
36. Symmetry in protein association.
37. Proteins in viruses.
38. The beta-propeller.