Re: Hyper-G and MARTIF

Lesley West (Lesley@ceres.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 15:15:49 GMT0BST1

In article: <2.2.32.19960206102502.007b86e8@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at>
gorasche@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at Tue, 06 Feb 96 14:48:15 GMT wrote:

Hi, thanks for your valuable contribution. I have the following comments
and questions:

> documents like HTML, PostScript, Images, VRML scenes, but also link
anchors)
> can be replicated in the hierarchy without being stored in the
database more
> than one time.

Good news, so there is little redundancy. Can we 'mark' a 'preferred'
hierarchy in case there is a need to output? Else there could be volumes
of hierarchies and problems in counting!

> The clue here is, that data managemant effort for the provider is
minimized.
> If you want to change one object (in your case e.g. a specific
molecule) you
> edit it once and get the actual version in every subtree. Also if you
add
> one object it also shows up in the other (directly linked)
collections.

Good, so as long as your direct links are set up there is no extra work
(unless we descide a preferred hierarchy needs marking).

> Here the next powerful Hyper-G feature comes into play: The search
facility.
> We support several search areas:
>
> - whole server
> - selected subtree(s)
> - multiple server
> - all (Hyper-G) servers in the world
>
> You can then do a fulltext, title, or a keyword search. For you that
means,
> that your users can define to search only in their preferred subtree
(to get
> exactly that molecule they want) or whole server. The latter provides
not
> only the object itself, but also where it is located in the collection
> hiearchy. So you can see some kind of meta-information procided by the
> creator of the glossary.

Where can we look to find out more about search facilities? In the
hyper-G faq? I think it's relevant to Peter's earlier questions about
case sensitivity etc.

--
Dr Lesley West, CERES, 78 Broom Road, Teddington, UK. TW11 9NY
Tel: 44 (0)181-255-1725 Fax and Tel: 44(0)181-977-4361