Re: Glossary

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:10:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Georg Fuellen wrote:

> We're in the process of resurrecting the biocomputing glossary,
> and one consultant has promised to improve our glossary entries
> on Networking/Internet terms.
> Stay tuned :-)

This is very good, Georg! Though it was painful, I can now regard the
Great Disk Crash as having had some beneficial effects - rather like the
Great Fire Of London (1666) which destroyed the substandard housing (at
least in popular history!).

We shall be setting new standards for glossary compilation using ISO
12200 and 12620 and this will make things a lot better.

I think it will be a good idea - certainly in PPS - to separate the
computing terms from the protein terms. The VHG is now designed to hold
MANY glossaries so there is virtue in splitting them.

I'm delighted to say that we have a volunteer (Kurt Giles) to help curate
PPS2. I'm hoping this will attract some more volunteers for Kurt.

I have asked dave Houldershaw to reinstate the hypermailer for this list
- at present it's not being posted to the WWW so don't delete any words
of wisdom.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk