RE: adding to and editing entries

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 22:53:08 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Antti Iivanainen wrote:

> When I try to edit the entries' URLs the old ones are left in place. The
> description part is well editable. Nice work, Peter!

The problem with URLs is twofold:
- it is valuable to check that these are syntactically correct,
but this is very difficult with the present software.
- because the URLs are being displayed in a hypertext document,
they may be impossible to edit! Alternatively (see last message) the
different delimiters can be translated in different ways by browsers.
This is a nightmare! For this reason I have tried to develop another
approach which I hope I shall realease shortly, where I have defined my
own hypertext object which can be syntactically checked at an earlier level.
(See the new link on the glossary pages).
As a temporary measure I have thought of having a series of entry
boxes, one for the address and one for the title, which makes the
"quoting hell" disappear. (Ever tried sending a sample of HTML to a mial
list for discussion? when it gets into a hypermail archive it gets
translated - or rather displayed - by the browser!)

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk
http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html, http://www.dl.ac.uk/CBMT/HOME.html