Re: Adding and editing entries

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 22:43:51 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Steve Durbin wrote:

> I've used Peter's new glossary-editing script, and it seems to work beautifully
> except that it adds extra markup or control characters of some sort to the URLs
> and indexing terms, such things as:
>
> ala%5Cpar

OK - I'll have to look into this . It *looks* browser- and machine-
specific. Could anyone who has these problems please mail the list with:
A simple test example:
- what they *think* they sent
- what they think they've got
- what client (Netscape, Mosaic, lynx, etc) they used
- what machine it was running on.
The problem is (I think) that the text in the form is packaged in some
way by the client before transmission. This happens with URL-encoded
messages where the QUERY_STRING has all punctuation converted to its
ASCII/HEX equivalents. Thus:
less-than is translated to %3C
backslash is converted to %5C
The current problem looks as if some additional coding is going on -
besides the ASCI characters there appear to be fs and par. I have no
idea where these are coming from.
My software does check for ASCII/HEX and decodes it so it looks
as if there is a double encoding or something horrible. I'm copyin in
the tech list as well - just in case.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk