Re: Reference glossary only once?

peter Murray-rust (ubcg09q@iona.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 12:11:57 +0000 (GMT)

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk
http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html, http://www.dl.ac.uk/CBMT/HOME.html

On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, Christoph Weber wrote:

> After marking up my HTML, I realized that each and every instance of a term
> that exists in the glossary is crossreferenced to it.

This is on my TODO list! I should perhaps actually create one!

> Thus my question: Is it technically feasible to mark up only the first
> instance of a term and then leave out the rest of them?

Quite straightforward. I think I will hack the code today so it
defaults to one-per-html-page. What I'll then do is to elaborate the
options as:
- mark up once per document
- mark up once per 'screen' - I'll have to guess this because
formatting, etc is variable
- mark up every one.

I will then add a form so that the author can select which one.

I also intend to provide a simple hack that 'translates' ASCII text
into kludged HTML. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ONE ALREADY - UNIX-BASED AND PD -
PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Otherwise I'll hack something that guesses paragraphs.
I'm also wondering whether there is a chance of providing a communal
editor via forms - I have some ideas.

P.

The only problem is finding time and the problem of editing files at BBK
where the line transmission sometimes garbles things.

Please keep posting these ideas!

P.