Re: Creating Windows in an HTML document

Christoph Weber (weber@scripps.edu)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:15:43 -0700

On Jun 19, 8:37pm, John Walshaw wrote:
> Subject: Re: Creating Windows in an HTML document
>
> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Catherine O'Malley wrote:
>
> > I am trying to create a WWW page. Can anyone tell me how to create
> > separate windows in a single page? Also, how does one put text and
> > images in a given window, if there is more than one window on the page?
> > Finally, I would like to create scroll bars for each window. Thanks.
> > Cathy
> >

> This facility is called 'frames', and there are a number of tutorials on
> the WWW, e.g.
>
> http://www.spunwebs.com/sites2c/frmtutor.html
>
> http://www.kudosnet.com/frames/

But beware: Frames are somewhat difficult to 'program' and unless done cleanly,
are *very* frustrating for the user to navigate.
Actually, I have yet to come across a frames site that I really like (including
the likes of Netscape Corp. and SGI). I'd advise to stay away from them.

Cheers,
Christoph