Re: MAGE

Iddo Friedberg (idoerg@cc.huji.ac.il)
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 19:04:43 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Jose Zaldivar wrote:

> I tried to run the executable SGI version of MAGE that I ftp from
> mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk but unfortunately I have the message:
> mage - Permission denied
> There is something I forgot to install?
> Thanks,
> Josema

Maybe you forgot to:

chmod +x mage_executable_file
(This sets an execute privilege to all users. If you want it for yourself
only do
chmod u+x mage_executable_file )

It is generally more prudent (albeit time-consuming) NOT to get the
binary if you're on a Unix machine, but to get the sources and Make them
on your machine. In this way you can avoid system version conflicts (in
your case, IRIX I guess), and you can optimise the binary to your
specific environment.

Hope this helped,

Iddo

Iddo Friedberg ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
Phone: (972)-2-6585459/3 `9_ 9 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
email: idoerg@shum.cc.huji.ac.il (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
web: http://www.ls.huji.ac.il/~idoerg _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' .'

"Graduate life -- it's not just a job, it's an indenture."