Re: time connection

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:35:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, Alan Ward wrote:

> Re: Downloading hypertext for off-line browsing (Yvan and PeterMR)
>
> Even in non-distance learning this is important. In an evaluation of an

Agreed.

> Tools to check the integrity of links already exist, largely they solve
> the problem of infinite links by confining themselves to the one site. A
> variant of such software which started at an initial document, saved it
> to a disk directory and then followed all the local links and saved them
> would be easy to write and manageable. It wouldn't work for everything
> but it could work on a course like this if authors had this in mind.

We can check the integrity of the links with robots, but the problem is
simply deciding whether *what* is at the other end is possible to include.
Copyright is a bigger problem...

> Maybe its something we could explore. One of the things which might
> (should?) come out of a course like this is How to ...
> "Guidelines to authors of hypertext for on-line courses" for example.
> Alan Ward

I'd be *delighted* to see a discussion of this. There are many simple
ways in which authors can help (good titles, keywords, meta-info) but
HTML is a poor authoring language. Perhaps if we arrange things in
Hyper-G that would make extracting a book much easier...

P.

Peter Murray-Rust 44-181-9662554 T "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk 44-181-9662109 F space; all else is opinion" Democritos.
Biomolecular Structure, Glaxo Wellcome, Greenford, Middx, UB6 0HE, UK
& p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk :http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html