RE: 'Spin' command on RasMol

Iddo Friedberg (idoerg@cc.huji.ac.il)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:14:46 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996 REISSNER@pembvax1.pembroke.edu wrote:

> Hi Iddo,
>
> The "spin" command is in RasMenu, yet a *third* program
> apart from the two RasMol Windows incarnations RasMol2.5
> and RAsMol2.6. With RasMol2.5(6) one optimally has up two
> windows: screen/menu bar window and cursor window. With
> RasMenu, aim for a third: a VisualBasic-like Menu bar with
> a one-line cursor (in fact, you *could* do without the
> aforementioned cursor window then). All are ftp-able
> from pdb.bnl.gov-- the exact URL isn't at hand this moment,
> and I'll send it later if needed.

They're also available from Edinburgh: ftp://ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/rasmol

Following our letter exchange, I'm posting this short guide to RasMol
installation for MS-Windows. Hope this'll help others.

So Actually to run RasMol on MS-Windows in full you need the
following files, available from
ftp://ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/rasmol and from other rasmol resources pointed
to by the technology page in the course hypertree.

1) rasmenu.zip which includes an executable and VB forms.
2) raswin.exe (for version 2.6: from subdirectory v2.6beta)
3) raswin.hlp (for version 2.6: from subdirectory v2.6beta)

If you don't have Visual-Basic, you also need:
4) vbrun300.dll to be installed in your c:\windows\system directory.

There are two verions of raswin: 2.5 and 2.6 I think 2.6 has ceased to be
a beta and is now a release version. Can somebody comment on that please?

1) Rasmenu will work with both versions of raswin. Actually, you can
run raswin.exe alone, but raswin.exe running under rasmenu.exe gives you a
lot more options on the pull-down menu level.

2) Create a new directory
(e.g. c:\rasmol), copy all the above files there. Copy vbrun300.dll to
c:\windows\system

3) Unzip rasmenu, and run rasmenu.exe : it'll execute raswin.exe

4) As John Reissner pointed out, there should be three windows: the
molecule display window, the command-line window, and the rasmenu window.

> For a week or so, I've been using the program with all three
> screens. What a glorious 486-empowering tool! I have not
> yet sent my thanks to Roger Sayle. He dserves many.

He certainly does!

Thanks for the help, John.

Iddo Friedberg ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
Phone: (972)-2-6585459/3 `9_ 9 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
email: idoerg@shum.cc.huji.ac.il (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
web: http://www.ls.huji.ac.il/~idoerg _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' .'
Lion design: Felix Lee
"Graduate life -- it's not just a job, it's an indenture."