Re: Using Search Engines

son of pps (pps2@iona.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 23:00:38 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks for posting the guide to using search engines, Iddo. I'll just
add that theres a "Catalogue of Catalogues/Search Engines" in the
Birkbeck Crystallography "Springboard to the World" page:

http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/external_links.html#search

and another at Harvard Biological Laboratories

http://golgi.harvard.edu/meta-index.html

to name but two. The catalogues and search facilities listed all have their
own pros and cons (Lycos is probably also my preference).

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, Iddo Friedberg wrote:

> Why is my beautiful .sig corrupted in the archives?

When the ascii text gets displayed as HTML all the 'padding' spaces get
ignored, and the font is no longer fixed width.
I must admit I don't know why hypermail seems to recognize some .sigs and
so includes them as preformatted text
e.g. http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS2/listproc/pps96-technical/9601/0027.html
-perhaps its clever enough to know what the line of asterisks means.

To see your .sig in its (almost) former glory just view the source of the
archive file- except that the URL underneath also gets automatically
turned into a link ;)

Ok, looking forward to Week 2,

John Walshaw j.walshaw@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk BioMOO: JohnW
or pps2@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk

Principles of Protein Structure Using the Internet
Crystallography Department, Birkbeck College, University of London
Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX