Updated information in the course hypertree

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 19:46:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, Iddo Friedberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It might be prudent to display a message instructing students to hit the
> "reload" button on dynamically updating pages, such as the mailing lists.
> Otherwise, people might get an old cached version when trying to read
> recent mail form the archives.

The question of how to see what new information has been added to
the course hypertree is an extremely important and difficult one. For
PPs1 I wrote a little script that I ran every 2-3 days and this made a
list of all files which had been changed or created in the last (say) 7
days. This meant that people could easily see what was new and didn't
spend a lot of time searching deep trees with only new material.

We didn't do this for the mailing lists, but I think that would also
be extremely valuable. It takes a few minutes to search the mail lists
which is a waste of time if there is nothing there. (Note that sometimes
people do not read their mail through their normal e-mail input and
the hypermail is therefore the primary source.)

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk
http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html, http://www.dl.ac.uk/CBMT/HOME.html