Re: MUD clients

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 09:44:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 13 Jan 1996, Ju-Seog Lee wrote:

Thanks very much for this!

> At 06:44 PM 1/12/96 GMT, you wrote:

[...]
> There are several winsock-based MOO or MUD clients in internet.
> But, I don't think these are really excellent programs like netscape in WWW.
> However these are still very useful, since we can use WWW and MUD
> simultaneously.

This is probably the best way to use BioMOO IMO. However it's important
to realise that although everyone connected with the course is 'on the
WWW', some of them have local limitations about what they can use - for
example some sites might allow WWW but not telnet, or have some other
restriction. For example, many browsers (such as Netscape) will launch
telnet when they come across a telnet://... URL and it is important to
make sure that this actually works for *you*. So - if you are wondering
where to start, trying out BioMOO is one possibility. And, perhaps, you
might find other course members there as well.

If you go to BioMOO don't be afraid to ask anyone for help and to
tell them you are on the PPS course. It's a bit like turning up on
campus when you are a fresher.

We'll probably find out in the next 1-2 weeks what technical
restrictions some of our virtual colleagues have... :-) Then we'll find
a way round...

PeterMR

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk