Re: MUD clients

peter Murray-rust (p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 22:32:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, luis wrote:

> Hello, everybody!
> Can't wait to get the course starting. The thing I'm really looking forward is meeting you all at

Great to see your enthusiasm! BioMOO is great fun - but it can take a
little bit of getting used to. Do feel free to 'talk' to the other
people you see there even if they aren't part of PPS2. Be polite ('I am
a newcomer here - do you have a minute to talk, please?') and you will
almost certainly find people to help. Asking about mud clients in a MOO
is an execellent way of getiing to know people.

I don't use a MUD client myslef (for reasons I won't go into) but it's
good if you can. Some people may have to go through firewalls and not
all sysadmins think MUDs are a good idea :-(. Telnet is messy because
your message and the replies can get mixed up.

> BioMOO. I have been there and visited our classroom, using a simple telnet program. I would like
> to get a good MUD-client for windows. Does anybody have any advice to give on that ? Which do you
> reckon is the best?

Also - have a look at PPS1. There may be quite a lot of discussion on
that.

I expect that some of the tutors will have their own ideas as well.

The wizards in BioMOO and elsewhere have built a very mice inetrface to
the WWW. You should certainly work out how to use it - in conjunction
with a client or telnet.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust, Glaxo Research & Dev. (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk); (BioMOO: PeterMR)
Birkbeck College, ubcg09q@cryst.bbk.ac.uk, CBMT/Daresbury mbglx@seqnet.dl.ac.uk