ANNOUNCEMENT: WWW exercises in molecular biology education (fwd)

Dr Alan Mills (alan@venus.co.uk)
Tue, 28 May 1996 19:31:14 +0100 (BST)

Dear PPS ppl,

I haven't yet checked out this resource to any depth, but it's encouraging
to see such material appearing following our attempts in PPS'95.

I encourage all PPS'96 students to have a go at this quiz.

Nice One, Tore ;) - thanks.

Alan Mills at Venus Internet Ltd, 24 Denmark Street, London WC2H 8NJ, UK
email:alan@venus.co.uk web:http://www.venus.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)171 240 5858 Fax: +44 (0)171 240 5859
Providing Web and Internet services and solutions
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:19:47 -0400
From: John McCarthy <mccarthy@dinosaur.pdb.bnl.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <pdb-l@pdb.pdb.bnl.gov>
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: WWW exercises in molecular biology education

WWW pages have been designed as a part of a basic course in molecular
biology (Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg
University, Sweden). The pages are in the form of a quiz. Questions
are presented one at a time and only when the right answer is given
you are allowed to proceed to the next question.

Most of the questions are related to DNA and protein sequence
information. The package makes use of links to sites for molecular
biology sequence analysis such as BLAST and Webcutter. There is also
an opportunity to study the 3D structure of nucleic acids and
proteins with the aid of the Rasmol and Kinemage programs.

The pages are designed to cover the flow of genetic information,
going from DNA to protein. Some topics are

-Building blocks of nucleic acids and proteins
-Structure of nucleic acids
-Nucleotide and amino acid sequences
-Restriction enzymes
-Transcription
-The genetic code and translation

You are welcome to try this out at the URL:
http://www.medkem.gu.se/ln/molbio/gene

--
Tore Samuelsson
Department of Medical Biochemistry

 John E. McCarthy                     |
 Head of Computer Operations          |
 Protein Data Bank                    |
 Biology Dept. - Bldg. 463            | Out of chaos comes order
 Brookhaven National Laboratory       |
 Upton, NY 11973                      |

 mccarthy@bnl.gov                     |