MediaMOO (fwd)

Murray-Rust Dr P (pmr1716@ggr.co.uk)
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 11:10:49 +0000 (GMT)

To PPS2 people who are interested in finding out more about MOOs...
(I have added some annotations).

PeterMR

(Amy: We have just started our second virtual course Birkbeck/GNA and I'm
circulating this to them. We have ca. 70 registered course members for a
fully accredited course. They have only just started using the MOO so if
there is anything we need to tell them I'd be grateful.

I hope to come along myself.)

Peter Murray-Rust 44-181-9662554 T "Nothing exists except atoms and empty
pmr1716@ggr.co.uk 44-181-9662109 F space; all else is opinion" Democritos.
Biomolecular Structure, Glaxo Wellcome, Greenford, Middx, UB6 0HE, UK
& p.murray-rust@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk :http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS/index.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 18:16:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Phil Agre <pagre@weber.ucsd.edu>
To: rre@weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: MediaMOO

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 96 17:50:13 -0500
From: asb@media.mit.edu
Subject: Two Panel Discussions & a Costume Ball

NOW WE ARE 3!
Please come help celebrate MediaMOO's third birthday!
Friday, January 19th, 1996
telnet mediamoo.media.mit.edu 8888

PMR> MediaMOO is affiliated to the GNA as is BioMOO. You might want to
PMR> practise there as the dialect may be slightly different!

SCHEDULE:
2:00-3:00 pm ET: PANEL: WHAT'S BEHIND THE SUCCESS OF THE TUESDAY CAFE?
3:00-4:30 pm ET: PANEL: IS MOO A DEAD END?

PMR> I would guess that these sessions would be controlled (i.e. who
PMR> could talk. In that case I expect that you would get a good
PMR> impression of good conversation and discussion in a MOO. I
PMR> don't know what privileges guest will have I will ask.

4:30-6:00 pm ET: THE FOURTH ANNUAL MEDIAMOO BIRTHDAY BALL

Guests welcome! To connect, type: telnet mediamoo.media.mit.edu 8888
For assistance, email mediamoo-registration@media.mit.edu

PROGRAM:

2-3 pm in the Tuesday Cafe (@go Tuesday):

WHAT'S BEHIND THE SUCCESS OF THE TUESDAY CAFE?

The Tuesday Cafe is arguably the most successful part of MediaMOO. Each week,
teachers and researchers from the computers and writing community meet on
MediaMOO to reflect on their practice, and debate an issue of common concern.
What online and offline features make this sub-community work so well?
Tuesday Cafe organizers Tari Fanderclai and Greg Siering will lead the
discussion.

3-4:30 pm back room of The Root Lounge (@go Root Lounge):

IS MOO A DEAD END?

Is the MOO software a dead end? Pavel Curtis has frequently said so publicly.
Why? MOO is wildly successful, way beyond the expectations of its designers.
An examination of its limitations points the way towards the future of
cyberspace. What design choices in MOO handicap it for expansion to support
additional media types, and a distributed architecture? What are the
interesting research questions? Who is working on them? Each of our
panelists -- Randy Farmer (Electric Communities), Gustavo Glusman (BioMOO),
and Seth Rich (OpalMOO) -- will briefly identify what they believe to be one
key issue, and then the floor will be opened for discussion.

PMR> Pavel Curtis wrote to original MOO (Lambda) whilst at Xerox.
PMR> He is one of the visionaries of the electronic future.
PMR> Gustavo is wizard of BioMOO and has spent many hours helping us set
PMR> up PPS and PPS2 in BioMOO.

4:30-6 pm in the Ballroom (@go Ballroom Foyer):

THE FOURTH ANNUAL MEDIAMOO BIRTHDAY BALL!

Come help us celebrate! Remarkable costumes (would you wear that in real
life?), and an open (virtual) bar! MediaMOO opened on January 20th, 1993 with
the MediaMOO Inaugural Ball. Three years later, we have a thousand members
from 32 countries. Please join us in toasting in year four at our annual
ball!

Hope you can join us! Guests welcome.
Please forward this announcement to interested people.

-- Amy