Index to Assignments
1. Define the term 'chiral centre' as applied to amino-acids.
Which amino-acids have chiral centres that are not alpha-carbon atoms?
2. Where are the highest B factors to be found in a protein molecule in a
crystal structure? Why is this?
Are certain amino-acids more likely to have high B factors than others?
3. What are the two commonest tertiary structure arrangements of proteins which
consist of alternate helix/sheet along the protein chain?
4. What is the Ca2+ ion binding motif associated with a E-F hand?
5. Which residue causes an alpha-helix to kink or distort and why?
6. What types of symmetries are involved in protein quaternary structure?
7. Which, in your opinion, is/are the most hydrophobic amino-acid(s) and why?
Last updated 12th July '96